(This is one of my photographs, and not Mr R’s. Just to let you know…)
No, not me… For that would be truly ridiculous at this exact point in my life; and believe me at just over 20 weeks pregnant, I am already at a stage where I fear I would plummet!!
But, in answer to that age-old question – what do you get for the man who allegedly has everything he wants for his birthday, and who helpfully tells you he doesn’t want anything at all?? What can you get for a man who lives in close proximity to the mountains, adores spending time in them – especially when there’s snow – but when there’s actually not? Fear, not – I have the answer – how about a day cloud busting with some Paragliding experts?
I did ask for recommendations through a group website of people I consider to be “lifers” (in that they have been here for a long time, will probably never leave, and of course have done all this kind of stuff before)… I pointed out that I am extremely fond of Mr R, so wanted a reputable paragliding company who would bring him back down to earth without any bumps, and a vast majority of them recommended Hagen at Fliegerherz (a part of Paraworth).
Email Hagan, tell him the dates that suit you, and be patient. He will come back to you straight away to tell you whether your preferred dates are available, but obviously this is very much a weather dependent activity, and you will not get confirmation until the day beforehand, so patience please, patience…
Having got the go ahead the night before, Mr R and his friend both had a fantastic time gliding high above the Wallberg Mountain last Saturday, catching a few thermals, and checking out the spectacular views…
I lent him one of my babies (cameras!) for the event in the hope that he would come back with some amazing photos, but sadly it was not to be. It was a slightly hazy day, and apparently trying to take great, in focus photographs whilst being chucked about a few thousand feet up, was apparently a little hopeful on my part. Thankfully though, Hagan was obliging with his Go-Pro, so a couple of these pictures are his! Thanks Hagan!
A few tips for the day from Mr R should you consider having a go yourself…
- Bear in mind that this activity is completely weather dependent. With unpredictable mountain weather, there is every chance that you might have to postpone until a later date;
- Flights are usually either from Lenggries or Wallberg, depending on which has better conditions on the day;
- Do take a sea-sickness tablet if you are prone to motion sickness. If you are not sure whether you are or not, spend ten minutes on a child’s swing to find out in advance(!)…
- Do have lunch well beforehand if you are worried about the above;
- Don’t have any worries at all on the day, Hagan and his team are real professionals, and as you might expect being German and all that, everything is organised precisely, perfectly and down to the last second;
- Enjoy. Throw away any fears you might have. You only live once after all, and this is an experience you will never forget, and Bavaria is completely perfect for it…
Contact: Hagen Muhlich
Tel: +49 172 92 42 644